Cardoner Volunteer Corps
3 - 6 Month Experiences
All of these Service Year opportunities have the potential to provide you with a life changing experience. They all involve living in the local communities and provide valuable insights into the life of the people we serve.
Availability of time periods are subject to change and placements will be slightly shorter than the time stipulated to ensure visa requirements for each country are met with some cautionary time to spare. Placements will also depend on border closures, travel restrictions, your safety and that of the overseas communities in regards to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The application process
- Pre-departure information
- Formation weekend
- Teacher training including classroom management and lesson planning
- Logistical training including risk management, culture and language
- Visa information
- Airport transfers/some local transport depending on placement
- Food and accommodation
- 24-hour support and pastoral care from partners onsite
- 24-hour emergency support from TWA team in Australia
- Regular check ins from TWA team in Australia
- Debrief and reflection on return
- Two Wolves Abroad t-shirt and hoodie and Cardoner Project polo shirt
- Travel insurance (available from TWA through AIG at discounted prices)
- Travel on weekends and school holidays
- Local SIM card and credit
- Luxury items – sweets, alcohol, restaurant meals etc.
- Activities not linked to the program eg. safaris, rafting, scuba diving etc.
- Personal equipment for Nepal trek
- Bed linen and mosquito nets in Tonga
Please note that visa costs change regularly so this advice is a guide only. Each country has the authority to change what visas are required, the process that must be undertaken and the costs incurred at any time.
The Cardoner Project first visited Vietnam in January 2010 and since then we have developed a deep and strong relationship with the sisters and children. In Vietnam, volunteers live and work in St Vincent Diem's Centre for Children with Disabilities. They care for and feed the children at the centre as well as help assist the sisters with everyday activities.
Encounter the very heart of The Cardoner Project's social enterprise ice and water purification plant that helps make the orphanage self-sustainable.
90 day visa at Vietnamese Embassy in Australia AU$130
Total approximately AU$130 for up to 3 months
Our work in Nepal is run through a relationship with a Jesuit mission established in the village of Tipling, one of the most geographically isolated communities in the country.
Volunteers in Nepal teach between a primary and high school, seeking to bring English to life for this isolated community. The volunteers also assist the Jesuits on the ground with various projects and activities, such as construction and faith formation.
Additional Nepal inclusions
Hotel accommodation on arrival to Kathmandu
Language training in Kathmandu
Transfers to trek
4-day trek from Kathmandu to Tipling
Trek to Kathmandu and return to renew visa including hotel accommodation
Trek from Tipling to Kathmandu at end of placement
90 day visa at Nepalese Embassy in Australia AU$240
Approximately AU$120 to renew visa in Kathmandu
Total approximately AU$360 for 6 months
3 or 6 months
Volunteers teach at Takuilau College, a Catholic secondary school with students from year seven to 12, located in Mua on the island of Tongatapu. In addition to the high school syllabus, the college
provides vocational training in horticulture, hospitality, automotive and carpentry. Volunteers will have an opportunity to get involved in the strong sports and athletics program at the school if they are interested, and may also assist at the St Ignatius Parish pre-school.
"You'll find Tonga an easy place to settle into and teach out of. The people at Takuilau are exceptionally friendly and welcoming. I wish you the best of luck in your experience and I hope it is as fruitful and enjoyable as I found it to be."
Jack McLaren, Tonga
One year employment visa $250 Tongan Pa’anga
Total approximately AU$160 for up to one year
3 months: $5,000
6 months: $6,000
12 month placements also available